Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want A Good SSD?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147249
    Newegg has the Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB for $289.99. That is $80.00 off the regular price.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

amazon was at 179 for 250 GB

Comment

Bargain price for a great drive. I will be in heaven 12-18months from now when 1TB SSD's are the norm and very reasonably priced.

Comment

SSDs are still expensive above 250gb...If only i had that kinda money to spend.

I'm investing in a new gpu...760
        Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
          Bargain price for a great drive. I will be in heaven 12-18months from now when 1TB SSD's are the norm and very reasonably priced.
          "Reasonable" might be asking too much.

SSD price drop trends have slowed. Apparently, demand is currently high enough to sustain profits. In the case of hard drives, market prices usually dropped whenever new technology made the old stuff obsolete.

I've read there is currently a 1:8 ratio in price in favor of HDD compared to SSD for 512 GB capacity. For a long time in the future, I think we will choose to have both a fast SSD and a slower, higher capacity HD.

Comment

Originally posted by Qicmee View Post
            "Reasonable" might be asking too much.

SSD price drop trends have slowed. Apparently, demand is currently high enough to sustain profits. In the case of hard drives, market prices usually dropped whenever new technology made the old stuff obsolete.

I've read there is currently a 1:8 ratio in price in favor of HDD compared to SSD for 512 GB capacity. For a long time in the future, I think we will choose to have both a fast SSD and a slower, higher capacity HD.
            And it's a matter of opion what "reasonable" means lol.

HDD's need to go tbh. They've outstayed their welcome.

Comment

Due to the manufacturing demand for NAND memory, SSD prices will continue to be high. For speed, SSD's are king, but good ole mechanical drives are king when it comes to sheer storage space. Looking foward to seeing the #'s they get when they start selling helium based hard drives. Current standard is 4TB in terms of max space for a mechanic drives, meanwhile an SSD could technically be infinite since you simply need to solder enough memory chips together... then fix the controller software to be able to recognize it all....

I have a Samsung 830 SSD right now, you will not be disappointed, they are a good brand for SSD's with Samsung Magician being a great piece of software to go with it.

Comment

Tech companies always find new tricks to use. Seagate plans to ship a 4 platter, 5 TB drive next year using Shingled Magneting Recording. Apparently this technology gives a 25% capacity boost without significant extra cost. I'm pretty sure they're doing this solely to annoy Juneau.

Optional techie details: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7290/s...etic-recording

Comment

Tech companies always find new tricks to use. Seagate plans to ship a 4 platter, 5 TB drive next year using Shingled Magneting Recording. Apparently this technology gives a 25% capacity boost without significant extra cost. I'm pretty sure they're doing this solely to annoy Juneau.

Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                  Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                  I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Of course they'll be bringing out a 5TB drive, then 6TB and so on. People will always need ever increasing storage space as more and more of our lives become digital.

I'll believe that 25% speed increase when I see it, and even if it is true, 25% on already slow speeds (compared to SSD's) will be quite negligible. Mechanical HDD's have been increasing in speed by a few percentage here and a few percentage there for a decade, and not a single person truly noticed the benefit. It's only when the increase is in the hundreds of percent did it actually make a difference (hello SSD's).

HDD's are only useful for storage now, the question is how long will that last? Hard to tell at this point.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                    Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                      by Apache Warrior
                      6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                    • Reply to 6 years
                      by Sirex
                      I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                      Just hit 2.5K miles...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                    • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                      by Sirex
                      Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                    • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                      by Sirex
                      Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                    • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                      by Sirex
                      Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                    Working...
                    X