No announcement yet.

OCZ are dust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I meet the guy and he shows me the Vertex 4. We discuss how it was used and how he tested and formatted it. He then pulls out another SSD, a PNY XLR8 120gb SSD that he had written in Sharpie on it 'BAD'.

He said he had formatted all of them together, and the OCZs showed 119gb after format, but the PNY showed 118gb, so he assumed it had found bad blocks on the SSD, marked them as such, and decreased the actual drive amount. I think he neglected to realize this was a 120GB SSD, not a 128 like the rest.

SCORE !!!! Two SSDs for $45 !! No idea what I'm gonna do with the PNY, but I guess I can pop it in the Win8.1 preview rig and put it through its paces.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

You always get the good deals.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

LOL nice WT!
        [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I respect that. I'm too lazy to look for a deal.

Comment

Well, it seemed like it was gonna be all peaches n cream, but at 51% of the SSD copy (from a Kingston 40gb to the PNY 120) it started spitting up read error after read error. NoOoOoOoOo !!!! Yea, seller was right. It's dying at a rapid pace. I already checked for an RMA, but PNY REQUIRES an invoice, so no go.

You'd think that tiny 40gb would be damn near full with Win 8.1 preview on it, but it only took 21gb with the install and apps I use, so no loss in the end.

The Vertex 4 copied over cleanly from the Kingston SSD, and it SMOKES that older consumer grade SSD. Unfortunately, the drive was 75% full after imaging. OCZ SSDs switch from performance mode to normal mode after filling over 50%, so the drive was running slower than it should. I found this to be quite odd, since I usually keep things tidy. Turns out I had accidentally set my Steam folder to the C: drive (oh, the humanity !!) and once that fat 24gb folder was moved, I was back in business and well under 50% full.

Holding onto the Kingston 128 SSD as a backup in case the Vertex would OCZ (haha - its a verb now !!) on me.

Edit: Managed to update its firmware from 5.02 to 5.07, ran numerous utilities to test its health, full checkdisk scan, write to zeroes, then popped it in an old Pavilion laptop and installed Windows 8.1 - and its working again !! At least it installed cleanly and after a few hours of usage seems to be usable. It failed a full disk copy before my efforts, but at least I can use it in some capacity (testbed laptop in this case) but with no guarantees it won't up and die.
            Last edited by WalkinTarget; 19 Jan 2014, 05:53 AM.
            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Them good deals can be risky.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                by Apache Warrior
                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
              • Reply to 6 years
                by Sirex
                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                by Sirex
                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                by Sirex
                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                by Sirex
                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
              Working...
              X