No announcement yet.

Optimizing SSDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juneau, I'm reading up on theses SSDs, in the linked article about 2/3 of the way down it talks about setting them up, dose that stuff look correct? anything to add?
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
      Juneau, I'm reading up on theses SSDs, in the linked article about 2/3 of the way down it talks about setting them up, dose that stuff look correct? anything to add?
      Linked article?

Comment

Ha ha, I'm so rusty I cant even make a post about this stuff.

http://lifehacker.com/5932009/the-co...d+state-drives

Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Like I mentioned to Cain further up, Windows 7 is very optimised for SSD usage. All new drives should allow TRIM (guessing yours does) and Win7 picks this up when you install it. The same goes for disabling Windows defrag schedules.

In the beginning when SSD's hit the market you had to make numerous changes to your system that made them faster and protected the life of the drive. Now that they're mainstream all the manual interaction has been taken away.

There are some tiny adjustments that you can make, like shrinking down your pagefile as long as you have enough RAM, disabling system restore so no unnecessary writes and space consumption takes place. But they really don't impact the drive at all.

One tip I would say though is to not use all of the drive. Even today, it is best to leave about 10% of the drive untouched. Samsung Magician has this as an option and hides a set percentage of the drive from you. You may have to just watch your free space.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
            Like I mentioned to Cain further up, Windows 7 is very optimised for SSD usage. All new drives should allow TRIM (guessing yours does) and Win7 picks this up when you install it. The same goes for disabling Windows defrag schedules.

In the beginning when SSD's hit the market you had to make numerous changes to your system that made them faster and protected the life of the drive. Now that they're mainstream all the manual interaction has been taken away.

There are some tiny adjustments that you can make, like shrinking down your pagefile as long as you have enough RAM, disabling system restore so no unnecessary writes and space consumption takes place. But they really don't impact the drive at all.

One tip I would say though is to not use all of the drive. Even today, it is best to leave about 10% of the drive untouched. Samsung Magician has this as an option and hides a set percentage of the drive from you. You may have to just watch your free space.
            I will keep an eye on it, thanks for taking the time to check it out, I can't wait to get this thing up to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
              I will keep an eye on it, thanks for taking the time to check it out, I can't wait to get this thing up to speed.
              And if it isn't, send it back and buy the EVO lol.

Comment

I might add that even a 'slow' SSD is leaps and bounds faster than an HDD, so don't think that if you don't own a performance SSD that you are missing out on the speed.

My neighbor had me look at her older netbook, complaining of overall system slowness. It's an old Asus 1005HA, so I scanned it and found nothing to report. I explained to her that short of an OS reinstall (Win XP - so no TRIM support for the SSD), it wasn't getting any faster at all. I recommended whatever SSD was on sale at the time, a Kingston V300 120gb for $80. I then used Acronis True Image to clone the HDD onto the SSD and made sure it was still aligned, then returned it to her. She was quite pleased with the speed improvement.

The Kingston SSDNOW drives are a consumer or business class SSD (Kingston's HyperX is the enthusiast class) but they still will smoke any HDD in benchmarks. I'd go with the Samsung Evo Plus as well if it were my rig, but if you happen across a good deal on an SSD, it's well worth adding it to a PC.
                Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Thanks for the info, i could always return the thing. This is what i got BTW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226371

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
                    I might add that even a 'slow' SSD is leaps and bounds faster than an HDD, so don't think that if you don't own a performance SSD that you are missing out on the speed.

My neighbor had me look at her older netbook, complaining of overall system slowness. It's an old Asus 1005HA, so I scanned it and found nothing to report. I explained to her that short of an OS reinstall (Win XP - so no TRIM support for the SSD), it wasn't getting any faster at all. I recommended whatever SSD was on sale at the time, a Kingston V300 120gb for $80. I then used Acronis True Image to clone the HDD onto the SSD and made sure it was still aligned, then returned it to her. She was quite pleased with the speed improvement.

The Kingston SSDNOW drives are a consumer or business class SSD (Kingston's HyperX is the enthusiast class) but they still will smoke any HDD in benchmarks. I'd go with the Samsung Evo Plus as well if it were my rig, but if you happen across a good deal on an SSD, it's well worth adding it to a PC.
                    It's true that any SSD give you an incredible performance boost over a HDD. However, the reliability is quite varied, with a lot of drives being downright awful. Something that they need to fix asap.

Comment

Yeah, I'm worried about the reliability. Very worried for a work PC.

Comment

http://www.storage-switzerland.com/A...liability.html

Comment

The Samsung Evo drive isn't any less prone to failure than all other standard retail hard drives. If failure protection is that important to you, you're better off with enterprise level drives and multiple backups.

Comment

It is not really the reliability I'm concerned about it is the durability. These SSDs have a finite number of times that they can be written to. That was not something I realized.

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
                              It is not really the reliability I'm concerned about it is the durability. These SSDs have a finite number of times that they can be written to. That was not something I realized.
                              Yep they do, and it's only a problem if you intend to still be using the same drive very heavily for 10 years or so.

The reviews and articles on this "issue" are nothing but scaremongering.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                                Yep they do, and it's only a problem if you intend to still be using the same drive very heavily for 10 years or so.

The reviews and articles on this "issue" are nothing but scaremongering.
                                You just made me feel better!! I read an article saying they only last 2-3 years, tops.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                  by Apache Warrior
                                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                                • Reply to 6 years
                                  by Sirex
                                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                  by Sirex
                                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                                Working...
                                X