Optimizing SSDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimizing SSDs

What things do I need to do in order to optimize my new SSD??

I heard, for instance that when you format the drive, you should not format the entire volume, but rather you should leave some space. Somehow I was told this will result in better long term performance...

Anyone else heard this??

Nothing. Windows 7 is optimised for SSD's out of the box. It even automatically disables scheduled defrags.

Which drive did you get? Hopefully the new Samsung 840 EVO?

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
      Nothing. Windows 7 is optimised for SSD's out of the box. It even automatically disables scheduled defrags.

Which drive did you get? Hopefully the new Samsung 840 EVO?
      Thx Juneau! Yes that is the SSD I got. I'm working on my Ops Mgr's PC this weekend, looks like my PC next weekend.

Comment

Go to the Samsung website and install the latest version of Magician. You can change a few things in there that are of use. Select High Performance setting in OS Opt, then go to Over Provisioning and set the default 10%. Finally go to Rapid Mode and make sure it's enabled. This will give a big boost in speed, and is only available in the latest version of Magician.

The only option above I would consider necessary is the Rapid Mode, but the other are worth doing while you're there.

Also, don't forget to install the Intel RST drivers when you've got Windows installed. These are mainly for Raid usage, but they do have benefits for single drives too.
        Last edited by Cain; 6 Oct 2013, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Thx Juneau, do I install this AFTER I have formatted the drive and installed Win7?

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
            Thx Juneau, do I install this AFTER I have formatted the drive and installed Win7?
            Yep, it's just a general windows app.

Comment

Wow, Juneau you were tight, that Samsung Magician is amazing:

The Samsung Magician software is designed to help users easily manage the health and performance of their Samsung SSD. In addition to providing vital SSD health status information, Magician will assist users in updating firmware, measuring performance, and optimizing the configuration of a Windows operating system installation. Samsung Magician software is developed and distributed exclusively for owners of Samsung Solid Sate Drives (SSDs).

I didn't do the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers, do you think I should??

My main concern with this SSD is reliability, performance is a distant second.

Comment

Wow, I just turned on Rapid Mode, and nothing huge different, then I did that performance tuning and WOW, it almost double the speed of everything!!

BTW I read you can shut down Magician and still get all the benefits, and Rapid Mode is a separate Service that runs in the background.

Comment

Wow, Juneau you were tight, that Samsung Magician is amazing:

The Samsung Magician software is designed to help users easily manage the health and performance of their Samsung SSD. In addition to providing vital SSD health status information, Magician will assist users in updating firmware, measuring performance, and optimizing the configuration of a Windows operating system installation. Samsung Magician software is developed and distributed exclusively for owners of Samsung Solid Sate Drives (SSDs).

I didn't do the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers, do you think I should??

My main concern with this SSD is reliability, performance is a distant second.
                  The Intel RST drivers will give you a small boost. You're already running some drivers, but the one's that come with windows.

If performance is your main concern, you already did the best thing by purchasing a Samsung drive. They are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

Wow, I just turned on Rapid Mode, and nothing huge different, then I did that performance tuning and WOW, it almost double the speed of everything!!

BTW I read you can shut down Magician and still get all the benefits, and Rapid Mode is a separate Service that runs in the background.
                  Rapid mode basically just remembers what files you run the most and puts them in a 'Cache' of sorts. The more you run a file the higher a priority, so certain aspects of your filesystem will actually gradually get faster. Well, up to a point.

Yep it does still give you the benefits. After I set it up I removed the process from starting. If you want to do this please do not use MSCONFIG. That was never designed for user management of processes. Grab the official MS App called Autoruns and uncheck the box next to the process in there.

Comment

In addition to upgrading my memory I purchased a SSD to replace my Raptor. I hope this fixes my extremely slow desktop. I bought a Mushkin drive, I wonder if it comes with some kind of software.

It comes in two days so be prepared for some questions Juneau.
                    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
                      In addition to upgrading my memory I purchased a SSD to replace my Raptor. I hope this fixes my extremely slow desktop. I bought a Mushkin drive, I wonder if it comes with some kind of software.

It comes in two days so be prepared for some questions Juneau.
                      No idea what software it'll come with Duke. Probably not much if they don't have their own apps. Why didn't you choose the Samsung 840 EVO? It's pretty much THE ssd to get and is really cheap.

Comment

Yes, lots of research on SSDs and all roads kept leading back to Samsung 840 Evo.

Comment

No idea what software it'll come with Duke. Probably not much if they don't have their own apps. Why didn't you choose the Samsung 840 EVO? It's pretty much THE ssd to get and is really cheap.
                          It was on sale for 159 and it had great ratings.

Does it matter if all I have is SATA II ports? I think that the specs on my MB

Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Nope it doesn't matter, but make sure you use the primary Intel Sata ports. Usually ports 1 and 2 dpending on your board and chipset.

Thankfully this isn't a problem anymore as the newest chipsets tend to run nothing but Intel SataIII.

My OS drive only cost $100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147247

The 250GB is $180.

Comment

Nope it doesn't matter, but make sure you use the primary Intel Sata ports. Usually ports 1 and 2 dpending on your board and chipset.

Thankfully this isn't a problem anymore as the newest chipsets tend to run nothing but Intel SataIII.

My OS drive only cost $100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147247

The 250GB is $180.
                              I don't have the discipline to keep my OS drive that clean. I have been pretty good on my laptop and that is a 240GB, which is the size of the one I'm getting, if I had done a bit more research i probably would have gone with the Samsung for the extra $20

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X