Headset search in progress !! Narrowed it down, just need some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headset search in progress !! Narrowed it down, just need some info

After only a year of faithful service, my Plantronics Gamecom 370 headset suffered a devastating injury at the hands of my daughter. It suffered what I've determined to be a flaw in the Gamecom units - it cracked right at the expendable headband where the mic recesses into the plastic band. Many owners have already pointed out this weak spot, but I thoroughly enjoyed using them over the past year.

So I went looking for an updated model and settled on the Gamecom 777. Found a good deal on them, $30 for a new set. Problem is, I get the sneaky suspicion that they may suffer the same fate as the old 370s. But, hey, its $30, right ??

As I searched, I ran across sturdier and more fully featured headsets (Gah, those Tritton Warheads are soooo sweeeet !!) and now sorta settled on the Turtle Beach X42s. It's wireless, which eliminates the cable clutter, and I would like to use it for dual purpose and watch my movies on the HTPC using them as well.

So here's my question: How would the X42s plug into my HTPC for audio output ? Assuming I have to move the wireless transmitter to the TV every time I want to watch a movie at night w/o waking up the kids and plug it into the TV or the HTPC to watch recorded movies ?

Also, it appears the X42s are not a true 5.1 audio headset, using a simulated 'surround' mode to achieve its 5.1. That's where the Gamecoms shine - their 5.1 is a better true audio solution, and the included USB breakout offers a 7.1 option as well.

If you have any others to recommend, link me up and I'll look 'em over. So far, I do like those two, and for roughly $30 or $60, respectively, they are in my budget.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I use the x12 - http://www.amazon.com/Force-Gaming-H.../dp/B005DQG0BO

I'm happy with it so far. It comes with a very long cord too.
    [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

Thanks, trip ! I actually found the X12s for $7 used (!!!) which is a steal. About the only thing they don't have that the X42s do is the wireless feature. I'm really trying to watch my HTPC after 9 PM when I have some free time without waking up the sleeping kids. That's where these would help out - just hook them up to the HTPC and listen on the sofa rather than thru the very loud 5.1 setup.
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget View Post
        Thanks, trip ! I actually found the X12s for $7 used (!!!) which is a steal. About the only thing they don't have that the X42s do is the wireless feature. I'm really trying to watch my HTPC after 9 PM when I have some free time without waking up the sleeping kids. That's where these would help out - just hook them up to the HTPC and listen on the sofa rather than thru the very loud 5.1 setup.
        Blasphemy! Just make the kids wear ear plugs.

Comment

FYI - Be not afraid of simulated surround sound.

I use an Astro Mixamp for my headphones at the PC. The PC (and whatever game I am playing or media I am watching) outputs at 5.1 over the optical out, and the Mixamp simulates surround sound on my stereo headphones. It works in the same fashion as SoundBlaster's EAX and Asus Xonar stuff works.

They have done tests and found that true surround sound using multiple drivers for each channel in headphones does not really work as well as simulating a soundstage with good stereo headphones. It's because with your ears so close to the drivers directional audio gets muddled.

I have Sennheiser PC 360's (after years of less expensive headphones I finally gave in and realized they are the most important thing for gaming, almost as if not more important than graphics) plugged in the Mixamp and the soundstage is awesome. BF3 is epic, and even using the Windows audio channel identifier shows how well the simulated surround sound works.

It also gets you kicked from servers due to hackusations...

Comment

Thanks, Nate !! I guess I shouldn't have placed a heavier emphasis on the lack of true 5.1, but it is mentioned in every review of the X42s just so the buyer KNOWS what they are and aren't getting. I also don't like replacing batteries after 18 hours of usage, but I will just make it part of the weekend routine - it should last me a full week if I buy good rechargeable batteries.

I ordered the X42s last night, should be here by next Thursday hopefully. I'm still trying to glue the old Gamecom 370s back together - no luck so far.

Comment

I use PC 360s as well with X-Fi simulated surround. They are awesome. A bit pricy but worth it IMO.
              [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Picked up a 4 pack of Sanyo Eneloop AAAs to feed these things. I already complained about batteries in headsets, but at the least I added the best rechargeable batteries you can use for the situation.

My daughter continues to use my old MS Sidewinder headset in the interim, and she wraps the extra cord around the center channel speaker, so once the X42s are her e... NO MORE CABLES !!! YAHHHH !!!

Comment

I am very close to getting some head phones. I just have to try them out before I buy. I can't even find my head size in Capps.

Comment

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Comment

Got the headset yesterday. Easy to hook up, easy enough to pair with the transmitter (once I realized the seller did NOT include batteries .. arghh). I have 6 stereo surround presets to choose from - #6 gave the best speaker separation for my taste.

The wireless range seems to be about 15 feet before it starts to drop out. My sofa is 7 feet away from my PC desk, so I SHOULD be good to use it for watching movies as well. They do not make my ears sweat like the Plantronics and also weigh about half as much.

Only gripe is something I'm still trying to dial out of the sound via the Realtek Audio Manager is the slight audio dropoff from a quiet to loud transition, similar to what you get with the 'Loudness Equalization' turned on via the Realtek Audio Manager. That option is unchecked, but it looks like its just the nature of the surround processing that Turtle Beach employs. Easy fix is to crank the volume up higher.

Comment

Do the majority of you guys use "gaming headsets"? I've always sided on middle-level headphones with a standalone microphone. It seems to be increasingly more difficult to find 3.5mm PC mics anymore though.. my logitech mic always taking up a usb2.0 slot.

Comment

I may be the only one not using a gaming headset or a headset at all. I use speakers since I get annoyed by things on my ears.
                          I have used something like this before. http://www.radioshack.com/product/?productId=2102926

Comment

I use a VERY comfortable Audio technica headphones. I'll always go for comfort and then for quality of sound. Besides, you're awareness in a video game doesn't solely rely on sound. In BF3, there were no enemy soldier sounds, or very little. You know what's around you by looking at your minimap and choosing the right path, not by listening.

Comment

here are some ideas for mics that are no on your headset.
                              http://www.modmic.com/
                              http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16836501002
                              http://www.modmic.com/products/modmic

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X