Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve readies prototype Steam Box video game console..testing in 4 months.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve readies prototype Steam Box video game console..testing in 4 months.

Valve readies prototype Steam Box video game console

Gabe Newell: "The main thing that's holding us up... we have a couple of different controllers prototypes we're using"
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories

'
    Valve expects to offer prototypes of its upcoming video games console for testing within four months time.

The firm's chief executive Gabe Newell revealed the news to the BBC ahead of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (Bafta) Games Awards.

Valve's online PC games store Steam has already proven highly popular and analysts suggest the console, called Steam Box, could have a big impact.

Mr Newell is being honoured with an Academy Fellowship at the event.

He was less forthcoming about whether his firm was actively working on new sequels to its hit science fiction franchises Half Life and Portal.

Portal 2 - a puzzle based game involving a prisoner trying to escape test chambers controlled by a homicidal computer - won best game and two other awards at last year's Baftas.

Steam Box
    Valve's Steam platform - which promotes titles by other developers as well as its own - has over 50 million registered accounts with software for the Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.

Its upcoming Steam Box hardware is designed to make it easy to access the service via living room televisions posing a challenge to Nintendo's Wii U, the upcoming Sony PlayStation 4 and Microsoft's next Xbox.

"We're working with partners trying to nail down how fast we can make it," Mr Newell told the BBC.

"We'll be giving out some prototypes to customers to gauge their reactions, I guess, in the next three to four months.

"There are noise issues and heat issues and being able to [deal with] that while still offering a powerful enough gaming experience is the challenge in building it."

He added that his company had still to finalise how the console's controller would work as it continued to explore the possibility of including sensors to measure the gamers' body states.

"If you think of a game like Left For Dead - which was trying to put you into a sort of horror movie - if you don't change the experience of what the player is actually feeling then it stops being a horror game," Mr Newell explained.

"So you need to actually be able to directly measure how aroused the player is - what their heart rate is, things like that - in order to offer them a new experience each time they play."

Undeclared price

Portal 2 has won several awards including three prizes at last year's Baftas
    One industry analyst said Valve's effort to transform itself from a games creator to an online marketplace was impressive, but added that it was still too soon to know if the Steam Box would be a success.

"I don't have any doubt they will put forth an impressive machine and it's pretty clear that at launch they will have a significant games catalogue," said Lewis Ward from IDC.

"But the surrounding app ecosystem is unlikely to match other consoles which have Netflix, video conferencing tie-ins and other non-gaming aspects.

"And we still don't know the price - Valve will be unable to subsidise its console in the same way the other manufacturers do, so that remains a

"So you need to actually be able to directly measure how aroused the player is - what their heart rate is, things like that - in order to offer them a new experience each time they play."
    Looks like Valve is taking gaming to a whole new level! lol *waits for KPhantom refs*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

It would be very cool if you could use the same games that you bought on the PC.

Comment

My only question is how expensive it is going to be and how good the performance will be.
        [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Quamin View Post
          Looks like Valve is taking gaming to a whole new level! lol *waits for KPhantom refs*
          I don't think a game has ever made me "aroused" before. I mean the threesome scene God of War was pretty arousing, I almost broke the Circle button on that level... "Square, triangle, circle, triangle, CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE, pause button.

Comment

If this all goes as planned, I think it'll be my next console.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
              If this all goes as planned, I think it'll be my next console.
              We can maybe lobby Valve so you can get the prototype

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
                We can maybe lobby Valve so you can get the prototype
                Hehe. I would love that!

Comment

Hehe. I would love that!
                  What's so special about you? It's not like you play video games anymore. Lobby so someone like me who is awesome can get it. It would benefit everyone.

I'll let you come on over and fiddle with the joystick if it does happen.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
                    What's so special about you? It's not like you play video games anymore. Lobby so someone like me who is awesome can get it. It would benefit everyone.

I would make sure you make sure you clean that joystick before you touch it.

Comment

I don't think a game has ever made me "aroused" before. I mean the threesome scene God of War was pretty arousing, I almost broke the Circle button on that level... "Square, triangle, circle, triangle, CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE CIRCLE, pause, *smoke break*
                      fixed
                      Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

I'm playing the new Tomb Raider if you must know!

Comment

I'm playing the new Tomb Raider if you must know!
                          I'll join you soon. I started playing Crysis 3 today and I'm almost done. Tomb Raider is getting some great reviews. I also recommend Crysis 3 for its single player. It's absolutely stunning.

Comment

Only played a small portion of the game so far and it's great. I got it free with my new GFX card. Bioshock Infinite will be joining it soon too. Gotta love free games.

Comment

I'll join you soon. I started playing Crysis 3 today and I'm almost done. Tomb Raider is getting some great reviews. I also recommend Crysis 3 for its single player. It's absolutely stunning.
                              Is it better than Crysis 2? The single player for Crysis 2 sucked...
                              [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X